Consistency! The SECRET to good health, a happier life and overall SUCCESS.
Have a look around you and OBSERVE those who come in contact with you regularly. Your friends. Your family. Your colleagues. Spare a minute to contemplate whether they are happy, healthy and successful. If you are under the impression that they are, chances are that they are performing small actions CONSISTENTLY in order to achieve that result.
“It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives. It's what we do consistently.”
- Anthony Robbins
Everything that is worth achieving in life requires energy and effort. The PROBLEM with society is that the majority of people want a QUICK FIX. Most people want SOMETHING FOR NOTHING. Unfortunately, that is not how the world works and if that is the mentality then you will have POOR HEALTH and limited success.
“Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying basic fundamentals.”
- Jim Rohn
What must you do to ACHIEVE GOOD HEALTH? The answer lies in CONSISTENCY and the power of COMPOUNDING EFFECT.
Let's use the above example to highlight the power of compounding effect. If we were to take 1 cent and double it everyday for 30 days, we would accumulate over $5,000,000! YES, your eyes have not deceived you. This principle applies to all aspects of our lives, including health and is the reason most people FAIL at reaching a health goal.
Where do I start?
You need to set SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and timely) goals with a PURPOSE. Without purposeful goals, you are just cruising through life without a clear path. It is like trying to reach a destination without a road map! Ensure you do the following:
1. Write down your goals
2. Ask yourself specific questions such as "what do I actually want to achieve?"
3. Breakdown your goals into measurable elements example, not smoking anymore and adhering to a healthy lifestyle where you eat vegetables twice a day and fat only once a week
4. Begin your journey with small, achievable lifestyle changes which you can incorporate into each day that won't significantly impact your routine
5. Your goals NEED to be relevant to you and what you want
6. Make DEADLINES to help you keep on track. Having clear time frames help you to see how your progressing and whether you may need to ADAPT.
7. Be PATIENT. Remember the example of compounding effect and DO NOT lose hope.
"Nothing good is obtained for free or without consistent effort"
- Tony Hvasanov, Physiotherapist
The above information is a generalised guide shown to have great effectiveness if executed well. We are all born with different skills, levels of self discipline and abilities which may either work for or against us. Whether you have health goals, career goals, relationship goals or personal development goals; you may at times find it difficult to continue the journey alone. Rest assured, there are many genuine professionals available to you who WILL help you stay FOCUSED, CONSISTENT and SUCCEED.
Wishing you all a lifetime of good health.